Job Title: Accounting Manager
Location: San Francisco
Reports To: Controller
Job Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Compensation: $85,000.00 to $95,000.00 per year, DOE
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Note: Vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement of the job. Accommodations due to disability or religious reasons will be evaluated in compliance with the law.
About Mission Housing:
Mission Housing Development Corporation is a private non-profit housing developer founded in 1971. Mission Housing develops high-quality, well-managed, affordable, sustainable communities that promote the self-sufficiency of low and moderate income families, seniors, and persons with diverse needs and offers technical assistance to service providers to help them develop affordable housing that meets the needs of special populations with a comprehensive vision of community. We own approximately 49 affordable housing buildings serving over 3,300 residents with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds in San Francisco.
The Accounting Manager, under the supervision of the Controller, will be a key player in Mission Housing’s goal to improve and restructure systems and technology to meet the organization’s growing needs. The position will have responsibility for a broad range of duties, including general and development accounting, financial reporting, and support for the overall management and administration of the Accounting team. The Accounting Manager will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and will also ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, and the preparation of other corporate financial documents.
- Manage the team to ensure that work is completed in a timely manner, in accordance with company policies and deadlines
- Recruits and hires accounting and financial staff and conducts performance evaluations.
- Develop a cohesive and effective Accounting team. Provide coaching, mentoring, clear goals, and feedback.
- Coordinates training programs for new staff and identifies training needs for current staff.
- Establishes internal controls and guidelines for accounting transactions and budget preparation.
- In conjunction with the Financial Controller, assists in the accurate and timely preparation of financial statements in accordance with our established schedule and with input from the rest of the Accounting Team.
- Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or financial reporting standards.
- Audits accounts to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations; coordinates with outside auditors and provides needed information for the annual external audit.
- Presents recommendations to management on short- and long-term financial objectives and policies.
- Works collaboratively with other departments on related projects, processes and systems.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly and year-end close processes.
- Responsible for invoicing various grants funded by federal/city agencies.
- Maintains accurate records of payroll documentation and transactions.
- Responds to payroll-related inquiries and resolves concerns.
- Performs account balance and payroll reconciliations.
- Represents the Financial Controller and/or the Department on multi-department projects as appropriate.
- Backs-up the Controller, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
- Eight years or more of related experience required.
- Non-Profit Accounting, Development and Construction Accounting, preferably in Affordable Housing.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and an ability to present information coherently.
- Proven management and supervisory skills.
- Ability to work within a team-based environment and handle multiple tasks.
- Must be accurate, organized, and highly detail‐oriented with the ability to multi‐task and follow through on all projects.
- Excellent decision-making, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Technical Skills preferred – Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook; experience with at least one enterprise-class, cloud-based accounting software system required.
- Proficient in accounting software.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and drive.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. However, construction sites may be noisy and appropriate measures should be taken to protect hearing and health on job sites.
**Disclaimer: The employer reserves the right to change or assign other duties including rotating sites if necessary.
Mission Housing Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please let us know if you need any special accommodations.
Mission Housing Development Corporation is a drug free work place as required by the “Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988”
Compensation: $85,000.00 to $95,000.00 per year, DOE
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.