Director, Housing Development
Job Title: Director, Housing Development
Location: San Francisco
Department: Housing Development
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Compensation: $155,000.00 to $170,000.00 per year, DOE
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Note: Vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement of the job. Accommodations due to disability or religious reasons will be evaluated in compliance with the law.
About Mission Housing:
Mission Housing Development Corporation is a private non-profit housing developer founded in 1971. Mission Housing develops high-quality, well-managed, affordable, sustainable communities that promote the self-sufficiency of low and moderate income families, seniors, and persons with diverse needs and offers technical assistance to service providers to help them develop affordable housing that meets the needs of special populations with a comprehensive vision of community. We own approximately 43 affordable housing buildings serving over 3,500 families and individuals with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds in San Francisco’s Mission District. In 2021, Mission Housing celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Working in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, the Director of Housing Development is responsible for the completion of permanent affordable housing projects, the preparation and completion of affordable housing project applications and the research and securing of future sites for permanent affordable housing. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify potential development sites and build support for their development/redevelopment.
- Identify potential rehabilitation sites and financing mechanisms within Mission Housing’s portfolio.
- Supervise Housing Development staff.
- Conduct financial feasibility analysis and identify potential options for project financing as well as site-specific alternatives for housing and development projects.
- Devise project programs and budgets and project analysis tools including, but not limited to, sources and uses, operating and expense budgets and market studies.
- Prepare funding applications and coordinate all work required to obtain project financing.
- Obtain local zoning and other regulatory approvals as required.
- Oversee all project design, development and construction-related work including hiring and supervision of architects, engineers, development consultants, environmental consultants, attorneys, contractors and construction managers.
- Coordinate bid specifications and negotiation of construction contracts.
- Oversee the construction phase including managing weekly job site meeting of larger projects.
- Monitor the contractor on progress and project completion schedule, and enforce deadlines as expressed in contract documents.
- Prepare development and construction period requisitions and review construction period change orders prior to approval and sign off by the Executive Director.
- Work with the community and specific neighborhood groups to build consensus on neighborhood housing needs.
- Review all development-related expenditures and work to ensure a quality product completed on time and within budget.
- Provide documentation to state, federal and local officials required to meet regulatory guidelines.
- Oversee preparation of all legal documents in conjunction with Mission Housing Development Corporation’s attorneys, and coordinate with all funders and regulators and their attorneys in completing projects.
- Assist with fundraising, as assigned by Executive Director.
- Perform other duties as considered appropriate and consistent with the mission of Mission Housing Development Corporation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Studies, Planning, Architecture, Economics, Business Administration, or related field, and five years of experience in community planning and housing development finance; or Master’s degree plus two to three years work experience may be substituted.
- Previous management and supervisory experience desired.
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Computer literacy required.
- Ability to formulate complex financial spreadsheets.
- Commitment to community-based development, resident participation in affordable housing, and the promotion of healthy, diverse communities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Must be willing to travel from various sites.
- Ability to handle a significant level of stress.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and drive.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate; construction sites may be noisy and appropriate measures should be taken to protect hearing and health on job sites.
**Disclaimer: The employer reserves the right to change or assign other duties including rotating sites if necessary.
Mission Housing Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please let us know if you need any special accommodations.
Mission Housing Development Corporation is a drug free work place as required by the “Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988”
Compensation: $155,000.00 to $170,000.00 per year, DOE
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.