Senior Development Accountant
Job Title: Senior Development Accountant
Location: San Francisco
Reports To: Controller
Job Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Compensation: $72,000.00 to $77,000.00 per year, DOE
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement of the job. Accommodations due to disability or religious reasons will be evaluated in compliance with the law.
About Mission Housing:
Mission Housing Development Corporation is a private non-profit housing developer founded in 1971. Mission Housing develops high-quality, well-managed, affordable, sustainable communities that promote the self-sufficiency of low and moderate income families, seniors, and persons with diverse needs and offers technical assistance to service providers to help them develop affordable housing that meets the needs of special populations with a comprehensive vision of community. We own approximately 49 affordable housing buildings serving over 3,300 residents with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds in San Francisco.
This position is primarily responsible for all aspects of development project accounting and is the primary accounting liaison to the Housing Department, working closely with the Director of Housing Development and Construction and with Project Managers. The position is responsible for preparation and maintenance of development sources and uses spreadsheets; initial set-up and monthly and annual reconciliation of the development general ledger accounts; oversight of development project invoicing, draws, and payables; oversight and recordation of loan and escrow closings; and cost certifications and audit prep. The Senior Development Accountant advises project managers on investor, lender, and audit compliance and also advises the Controller on development accounting and financial performance.
- Development Cash Management: Oversees cash flow for all development project sources. Reconciles development project receivables and provides monthly report of advances to development projects and estimated repayment schedules. Provides budgeted-to-actual reports for Housing Development and Board. Tracks budgeted-to-actual developer fees. Ensures funding receipts are deposited and/or transferred as needed to meet the payment obligations for all development projects. Reconciles development bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Closings: Performs accurate journal entries for all acquisition, construction and permanent loan closings, in coordination with project managers and escrow. Funds reserve and other accounts at closings.
- Preconstruction Development Pipeline Project Accounting: Coordinates with accounting teammates on system of project tracking, assignment of project numbers within BUDGETRAC. Coordinates with Housing Department and Asset Management teammates to track and report projected cash needs for all projects in the development pipeline on a monthly basis.
- Project Cost Tracking and Accounts Payable Processing: Reviews project invoices for appropriate coding and process for payment. Prepares and enters project-related journal entries to accurately account for all project costs. Manages the monthly draw process with project managers to prepare and review development funding draw requests. Tracks assigned project budgets and work with project managers to identify and discuss any cost/budget issues.
- Cost Certifications: Works with development project managers and auditors to prepare cost certifications for newly constructed and rehabilitated housing projects. Supports other funder requests for financial reporting as needed.
- Audits: Provides trial balances to Controller and auditor. Reviews and analyzes capitalized costs in preparation for closings and audits. Responds to development-related auditor requests.
- General Accounting General Ledger: Assists as necessary with routine general ledger close and account reconciliation functions.
- Other Duties: Monitors and enhances current systems/processes for project accounting. Trains Development teammates as needed on accounting and budgeting system software. Prepares other reports and performs other duties as assigned.
Communication and Coordination Activities:
- Maintains a pleasant friendly attitude among company personnel so that a positive working environment exists. Strives for enhanced communication, effectiveness and continuity.
- Communicates regularly with all other operating teams to assure achievement of companywide goals.
- Actively participates on cross-functional teams and meetings to promote the continual improvement of operating strategies, customer satisfaction and financial results.
- Performs own administrative duties.
- Performs other tasks/projects as requested.
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with 3 to 5 years’ experience in real estate development and/or construction accounting.
- Affordable housing real estate development experience preferred but not required.
- Proven experience with development GL accounting.
- Excellent written and oral skills and an ability to present information coherently.
- Ability to work within a team-based environment and handle multiple tasks.
- Must be accurate, organized, and highly detail‐oriented with the ability to multi‐task and follow through on all projects.
- Excellent decision-making, interpersonal and time management skills.
- Technical Skills preferred – Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook; experience with at least one enterprise-class, cloud-based accounting software system required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and drive.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. However, construction sites may be noisy and appropriate measures should be taken to protect hearing and health on job sites.
**Disclaimer: The employer reserves the right to change or assign other duties including rotating sites if necessary.
Mission Housing Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please let us know if you need any special accommodations.
Mission Housing Development Corporation is a drug free work place as required by the “Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988”
Compensation: $72,000.00 to $77,000.00 per year, DOE
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.