Senior Project Developer
Job title: Senior Project Developer
Department: Housing Development
Reports to: Director of Housing Development
Job Status: Permanent, Full-time (40-hrs/week)
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Compensation: D.O.E., full medical, dental, vision and retirement plan
About Our Organization:
Mission Housing Development Corporation develops high-quality, well-managed, affordable, sustainable homes and communities that promote the self-sufficiency of low and moderate income families, seniors, and persons with diverse needs. Mission Housing offers technical assistance to service providers to help them develop affordable housing that meets the needs of special populations.
The Senior Project Developer, under the general direction and supervision of the Director of Housing Development, is responsible for originating, coordinating and implementing all aspects of the development of affordable housing projects for Mission Housing Development Corporation. Senior Project developers are considered team leaders and are responsible for supervising or assisting in supervising other project developers or associate developers as well as any 3rd party contractors and consultants. Projects may include new construction, refinance and rehabilitation and joint ventures with other developers (both for & non-profit). Senior Project Developers are expected to manage a direct workload of up to 5 developments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiates location and evaluation of potential project sites and properties.
- Negotiates acquisition agreements.
- Identifies new areas of program activity.
- Assists with formulating department strategy.
- Conducts preliminary feasibility analyses and organizes critical community support.
- Researches and secure sources of predevelopment, construction and permanent financing
from public and private sources.
- Works with public agency staff to assure timely public review and approval including environmental and other entitlement reviews.
- Coordinates environmental review and local agency approvals.
- Identifies members of the development team and negotiate contracts with contractors, engineers and architects.
- Supervises and mentors project developers and junior project staff
- Oversees construction management, either directly or while managing a 3rd party construction manager, during projects.
- Prepares and monitors project budgets, cash flow projections and project schedules
- Oversees design and construction management to ensure attention given to special-user needs, project budget, timelines, and tender/investor requirements.
- Makes public presentations on behalf of MHDC at external project and policy meetings.
- Works with Mission Housing Development Corporation Asset Management and Resident Services to identify feasibility of on-site service programs, and identify sources of necessary funding.
- Works with Mission Housing Development Corporation Management and community groups to facilitate affirmative marketing and smooth transition to occupancy.
- Prepares written report material and grant applications, and makes presentations before public bodies and community groups.
- Review all development related expenditures and work to ensure a quality product completed on time and within budget;
- Provide documentation to state, federal and local officials required to meet regulatory guidelines;
- Oversee preparation of all legal documents in conjunction with Mission Housing Development Corporation’s attorneys, and coordinate with all funders and regulators and their attorneys in completing projects;
- Assist with fundraising as assigned by Executive Director;
- Perform other duties as considered appropriate and consistent with the mission of Mission Housing Development Corporation.
Responsible for supervising and or assisting in supervising other project developers or associate developers as well as overseeing all 3rd party contractors and consultants associated with the project(s) in conjunction with the assigned project developer. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) or higher degree in Real Estate Development, Real Estate Finance or a comparable field and at least five years of direct continuous experience in the role of project manager (preferably including Senior Project Manager experience) in affordable housing development. Candidate must have completed multiple low-income affordable housing development projects, preferably in and around San Francisco, from sourcing through completion.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and boards of directors.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS must have reliable automobile transportation and a valid California Driver’s License and insurance.
- Experience or background in all aspects of affordable housing project development from acquisition through construction completion
- Working knowledge and experience with local, state and federal low income housing financing programs; including but not limited to HOPE VI, HUD Section 8 236, 221(d) 202/811, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and Tax Exempt Bonds.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the concerns and needs of lower income people
- Ability to conduct financial analysis and budget preparation
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills
- Strong public presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work in project teams and with a wide variety of individuals
- Computer skills, with a proficiency in Microsoft office suite including word processing and spreadsheets for financial analysis required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or fee; reach and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org